The Senior Project Developer is directly responsible for leading the development of projects, including the origination phase, through construction and commissioning and eventually through turn over to Project Lender, Asset Sale or Asset Management by EDF Renewable Energy. The Senior Project Developer will manage all financial/budget, permitting, pricing, marketing and internal communications for projects assigned them. This includes managing current contracts and forecasting and scoping future needs of pre-capitalized and in some cases capitalized renewable energy projects. The Senior Project Developer is accountable for the success of projects under her/his assignment and will be supported by, and is responsible for coordinating consultants, and Regional and Corporate Teams in Resource Assessment, Contract Execution, Legal, Land/Title, Transmission, Engineering, Accounting, Project Finance, Valuation & Transactions, O&M, and Asset Management.
Reports to: Manager, Development
Location: Minneapolis, MN
50% of the time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers (frequent use of MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Project, MS Access, etc.), telephones and general office equipment. 50% of the time is spent in the field, leading pre-capitalized project implementation, as well as managing the assessment and pursuit of new business opportunities.
• Lead the overall development process on behalf of EDF Renewable Energy, including but not limited to: preliminary energy assessment, completion of interconnection processes, land control, environmental/permitting process through approval, prelim engineering and support for construction and project financing
• Overall responsibility for individual development projects for: budgeting and finances, project timing and planning, risks assessment and management, legal balance and exposure of the projects.
• Coordinate directly with corporate Resource Assessment Group to review, research, investigate, and analyze potential wind and solar acquisition opportunities. Effectively elevate issues to Directors / Regional VP as necessary.
• Lead communications with EDF Renewable Energy Program Managers to develop and finalize construction scope of work and drawings.
• Obtain internal approvals to develop renewable energy projects, including drafting or facilitating investment memos and projections. Effectively elevate issues to Directors / Regional VP as necessary.
• Secure internal support for pricing and RFP bid preparation.
• Lead communications and negotiations with external stakeholders, including but not limited to contractors, land-owners, and utilities. Effectively elevate issues to Directors / Regional VP as necessary.
• Oversight of local, state and/or federal environmental permitting processes, as a precondition of a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) or Environmental Impact Statement. Utilization of support groups to identify construction-related issues, prior to obtaining a CUP. Responsible for securing internal approval for pre-construction analyses required for local permits, including but not limited to Encroachment, Grading, Foundation, and Building Permits that are needed prior to turning over the project to the construction team.
• Facilitate contracting for pre-construction activities such as preliminary geotechnical engineering, identifying and presenting a plan to meet FAA requirements, where applicable.
• Initiate, develop, and maintain strategic relationships with all projects partners, including but not limited to power purchaser, utilities, landowners, permitting authorities etc. Keep Director and Regional Vice President closely informed and effectively elevate issues as necessary.
• Manage (contract, engage, and discontinue, as necessary) consultants – including but not limited to environmental, engineering, aviation, biological consultants on the projects, with guidance from Directors / RVP as necessary.
• Leverage opportunities at industry tradeshows, conferences, and landowner and government meetings on behalf of EDF Renewable Energy to strengthen and capitalize on relationships with potential customers, financial and investment partners, and utilities.
• Provide perspective on market trends and policy research and analysis of energy technologies and markets to quantify market potential and cultivate new development opportunities.
• Act as a Development Department resource and role model within EDF Renewable Energy in creating problem-solving methods for permitting, landowner, community and media relations and interconnect issues.
• All other job related duties as assigned by the Regional VP and/ or Director.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering or related discipline required. Minimum of 7 years’ experience handling project management energy related projects.
• Supervisory experience preferred.
• Demonstrate ability to deliver on large scale utility energy development projects.
• Demonstrate that he/she has successfully independently managed contract negotiations.
• Demonstrate a thorough awareness of potential project development issues and ability to elevate issues to Directors / RVP in a timely, solutions-oriented way.
• Demonstrate a command of legal knowledge and background associated with successful contract management.
• Demonstrate successful project financing experience
• Able to successfully work and communicate with members of Sr. Management, peers, subordinates, and unaffiliated third parties.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply for a position, please submit your CV/Resume along with the position title(s) electronically to EDF Renewable Energy.
Click Here to Apply