The Project Development Manager is responsible for managing a portfolio of development projects, from the origination phase, construction and commissioning through hand over to EDF Renewable Energy Asset Management. This position is also responsible for managing development budgets, permitting, assist in developing competitive off-take pricing, off-take marketing, competitive analysis and internal communications for the portfolio of projects assigned to this position. This includes managing current contracts and forecasting and scoping future needs of pre-capitalized and capitalized renewable energy projects. Additionally, this position has the responsibility of coordinating the preparation of all materials to allow for a smooth transition of projects from the origination team to the Project Finance, Implementation and Asset Management teams. Also act as a clearinghouse for development-related questions from the Project Finance Implementation, and Asset Management teams once responsibility for the project has been transferred.
Reports to: Regional Director
Division/Department: Project Development
Location: Brooklyn, NY
50% of the time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers (frequent use of MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Project, MS Access, etc.), telephones and general office equipment. 50% of the time is spent in the field, leading pre-capitalized project implementation, capitalized project implementation/ development as well as managing the assessment and pursuit of new business opportunities.
• The Project Development Manager is accountable for the successful development and marketing of a portfolio of projects under her/his assignment and is responsible for budget forecasting, coordinating consultants, and Regional and Corporate Teams in Resource Assessment, Contract Execution, Legal, Land/Title, Transmission, Engineering, Accounting, Project Finance, Valuation & Transactions, O&M, and Asset Management.
• Overall manage the development of a portfolio of projects: budgeting and finances, project timing and planning, risks assessment and management, legal balance and exposure of the projects.
• Coordinate directly with corporate Resource Assessment Group to review, research, investigate, and analyze potential wind and solar acquisition opportunities. Effectively elevate issues to Directors / Regional VP as necessary.
• Lead communications with EDF Renewable Energy Program Managers to develop and finalize construction scope of work and drawings. Coordinate with Program Managers on development deliverables and construction timelines.
• Obtain internal approvals to develop renewable energy projects, including drafting or facilitating investment memos, projections and capitalization processes. Effectively elevate issues to Directors / Regional VP as necessary.
• Forecasting and scoping future needs of pre-capitalized and capitalized renewable energy projects.
• Lead and facilitate communications and negotiations with external stakeholders, including but not limited to contractors, land-owners, permit agencies, utilities and other stakeholders. Effectively elevate issues to Directors / Regional VP as necessary.
• Oversight of local, state and/or federal environmental permitting processes, as a precondition of a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) or Environmental Impact Statement. Utilization of support groups to identify construction-related issues, prior to obtaining a CUP. Responsible for securing internal approval for pre-construction analyses required for local permits, including but not limited to Encroachment, Grading, Foundation, and Building Permits that are needed prior to turning over the project to the construction team.
• Facilitate contracting for pre-construction activities such as preliminary geotechnical engineering, preliminary engineering, identifying and presenting a plan to meet FAA requirements and other requirements, where applicable.
• Initiate, develop, and maintain strategic relationships with all projects partners, including but not limited to power purchaser, utilities, landowners, permitting authorities etc. Keep Director and Regional Vice President closely informed and effectively elevate issues as necessary.
• Manage (contract, engage, and discontinue, as necessary) consultants – including but not limited to environmental, engineering, aviation, biological consultants on the projects, with guidance from Directors / RVP as necessary.
• Leverage opportunities at industry tradeshows, conferences, and landowner and government meetings on behalf of EDF Renewable Energy to strengthen and capitalize on relationships with potential customers, financial and investment partners, and utilities.
• Provide perspective on market trends and policy research and analysis of energy technologies and markets to quantify market potential and cultivate new development opportunities.
• Act as a Development Department resource and role model within EDF Renewable Energy in creating problem-solving methods for permitting, interconnection, landowner, community and media relations and interconnect issues.
• All other job related duties as assigned by the Regional Director.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering or related discipline required. MBA or related Masters’ degree preferred
• Minimum of 9 years’ experience handling project management energy related projects.
• Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience.
• Demonstrate ability to deliver on large scale utility energy development projects.
• Demonstrate that he/she has successfully independently managed contract negotiations.
• Demonstrate a thorough awareness of potential project development issues and ability to elevate issues to Directors / RVP in a timely, solutions-oriented way.
• Demonstrate a command of legal knowledge and background associated with successful contract management.
• Demonstrate successful project financing experience
• Able to successfully work and communicate with members of Sr. Management, peers, subordinates, and unaffiliated third parties.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply for a position, please submit your CV/Resume along with the position title(s) electronically to EDF Renewable Energy.
Click Here to Apply