The Manager, Regulatory and Legislative Affairs will lead EDF Renewable Energy’s public policy efforts related to renewable energy (including wind, solar, biomass and biogas) and energy storage in states covered by the Electricity Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the Southwest Power Pool (SPP), and the Southern Electricity Reliability Council (SERC). The Manager will also provide ongoing analysis and information to EDF RE’s development and asset management staff for the identification of new market opportunities, response to new opportunities, and optimization of EDF RE project assets. The Manager will also assist with corporate outreach efforts related to key state and federal policies.
Policies to advance and protect include the following: demand-pull policies such as renewable portfolio standards and utility procurement policy such as integrated resource planning, grid operations such as interconnection, integration and grid expansion, tax incentives, federal Clean Air Act-derived policies such as emissions cap-and-trade, and permitting/siting. Policymaking arenas will primarily be state legislatures, state executive agencies, governors’ offices, transmission operation authorities, and state public utility commissions.
Reports to: Director, Regulatory & Legislative Affairs
Division/Department: Regulatory & Legislative Affairs
Location: Houston, TX
60% of time is spent in the office environment, using computers (frequent use of various Microsoft software/programs), phones, and general office equipment. 40% of the time will be spent outside of the office as an advocate for EDF RE in state legislatures, executive branch, and public utility commissions as well as representing EDF RE in various trade associations.
• Advocate for EDF RE in state legislatures, executive branch, and public utility commissions.
• Represent EDF RE in various trade associations and on boards of such trade associations as appropriate.
• Work productively with other stakeholders including electric utilities, renewable energy companies, energy consumer groups, environmental groups, trade unions, business associations, and others.
• Create and execute advocacy strategies to advance public policy goals.
Internal Planning and Coordination
• Solicit internal input from key EDF RE leaders, drive internal discussions on policy positions, and make policy recommendations to EDF RE management.
• Work closely with EDF RE regional development offices and corporate groups to support their efforts in expanding and maintaining markets and to support project-specific efforts on business development and asset management.
• Hire and manage employees, consultants and interns, as needed, to facilitate important regulatory and legislative goals and objectives when additional resources must be brought to bear.
• Design and run corporate campaigns and outreach efforts to relevant policymaking bodies and the media to affect change in support of corporate goals, and in close coordination with corporate communications, human resources, and other relevant departments.
• Assist with corporate efforts that can apply nationally on programmatic issues such as corporate purchasing.
Provision of Information/Analysis
• Research/analyze legislative and regulatory issues in current markets, using both qualitative and quantitative techniques and frameworks.
• Keep well informed on key regulatory and legislative developments that affect wind and solar development, and apprise EDF RE regional development groups and corporate groups of such developments.
• All other duties as assigned by the Director, Regulatory and Legislative Affairs or his/her designee.
• Bachelor’s degree in public policy, business, law, and/or economics, with advanced graduate degree highly preferred.
• At least five years of relevant work experience, including energy policy, project development, political organizing, deal origination, and/or energy asset management.
• Strong familiarity with key renewable energy policies and market issues affecting renewable energy project development in the short term and long term. Ability to foresee market needs before they materialize and then act accordingly is a strong plus.
• Ability to prioritize efforts based on internal priorities and external developments, given the vast array of issues in play in the given geographic area.
• Experience in managing a budget and/or a team of employees and/or consultants to achieve organizational goals.
• Ability to write and orally present clearly, concisely, and compellingly.
• Extroverted nature with an ability to connect with individuals from diverse professional and social backgrounds.
• Comfort with providing both in-depth analysis and conclusions by deliberately synthesizing economic, commercial, political and legal information, as well as policy positions in fast-paced situations with little lead time and based on limited information.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Willingness to travel 40% of the time on average to cover markets in ERCOT, SPP and SERC.
• Ability to work remotely to achieve objectives while maintaining a strong working relationship with internal staff located in various offices in the U.S.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply for a position, please submit your CV/Resume along with the position title(s) electronically to EDF Renewable Energy.
Click Here to Apply