This position is responsible for laboratory testing of digester feedstock and product quality using analytical equipment including, but not limited to, pH meters, ovens, incubators, titrators, balance scales, moisture ovens, and thermometer calibrations at a Biogas plant. Laboratory Technician must be able to communicate effectively in relaying analysis information to management personnel. The incumbent will identify sub-standard chemistry results and anaerobic test results. This position supports staff by maintaining logs and record books, troubleshooting and resolving problems; helping with special projects. The incumbent will conduct chemical laboratory tests to assist making qualitative and quantitative analyses of solids, liquids, and gaseous materials for purposes, such as research and development or processes, quality control, maintenance of environmental standards, and other work involving experimental, theoretical, or practical application of chemistry and related sciences. The incumbent will set up and conduct chemical experiments, tests, and analyses using techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, and microscopy.
Reports to: Process Control Engineer
Division/Department: Operations & Maintenance
Location: LaSalle, CO
Primarily works in a laboratory environment but may also be required to work in all areas of the plant site, both indoors and outdoors. Typically works day shift hours. From time to time the working hours will be determined on short notice based on plant requirements. Some travel may be required. Work in confined spaces and at heights greater than 30ft, may be required. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and may be exposed fumes or airborne particles. Work with chemicals is required. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and wet or humid conditions. Must be capable of wearing PPE as well as respirators or self-contained breathing apparatus and working in dusty environments such as Confined Spaces.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills, read and interpret data, information and documents; observe and interpret situations, use math and mathematical reasoning; deal with changing, intensive deadlines, and interact with internal and external clients. Employee must be able to concentrate while under time constraints.
• Perform routine sampling and analysis as assigned and compile results of test and analyses.
• Prepare chemical solutions for products and processes following standardized formulas, or create experimental formulas.
• Maintain, clean and sterilize laboratory instruments and equipment.
• Write technical reports or prepare graphs and charts to document experimental results.
• Calibrates, tests, maintains, troubleshoot all Biogas plant chemistry instrumentation.
• Specify instrumentation, facilitate troubleshooting of those instruments, and ensure data quality.
• Monitor lab inventory materials in order to maintain supplies.
• Operate gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer.
• Serve as site Hazardous waste shipper.
• Track and maintain inbound and outbound manifest records.
• Support the plant environmental permits sampling, testing, and reporting requirements.
• Perform plant operations and maintenance tasks on an as-needed basis and other tasks as assigned.
• Be available within a reasonable response time for emergency call-ins and overtime.
• Respond to alarms in a timely manner; operate firefighting equipment as necessary and within reason.
• Maintain a safe work environment though job planning, housekeeping and identification and correction of hazards.
• Adhere to all applicable health & safety, environmental and administrative policies, procedures and regulations.
• Attend morning, monthly and quarterly meetings.
• Attend training, implement and pursue personal development goals.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Valid Driver’s license.
• Good interpersonal skills required
• Math skills and conversion of units of measurement required
• Good organizational skills
• Computer skills; word processor, and spreadsheets, databases
• Basic familiarity with chemical or gas plant operational
• Effective time management skills in handling multiple tasks.
• A self-starter and a team player, demonstrating initiative, integrity, good stress tolerance and adaptability at all times.
• Travel to other locations and to corporate may be required.
• Knowledge of the operational characteristics and uses of various machinery and equipment necessary for the performance of assigned duties.
• Experience responding to plant abnormal situations, alarms, and emergencies.
• Thorough knowledge of the location, purpose and proper use of the plant safety equipment.
• Possess superior listening and interpersonal skills, and great customer-service orientation.
• Able to manage a high level of responsibility with poise and optimism.
• Enjoy collaborating with a variety of personalities and work styles.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply for a position, please submit your CV/Resume along with the position title(s) electronically to EDF Renewable Energy.
Click Here to Apply