This position is responsible for operating fuel and ash handling equipment for receiving, stacking and transporting fuel and ash. Operates and maintains large mobile equipment necessary to supply fuel to the plant conveyor system. Inspects and performs preventative and minor maintenance on mobile equipment and conveyor systems when not fueling the plant.
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
Division/Department: Operations & Maintenance
Location: Dorchester, South Carolina
This position is required to works in all areas of the plant site, both indoors and outdoors. Rotating shift work required. Some travel required. Work in confined spaces and at heights greater than 100 ft. required. Work with mobile equipment, high temperature, high pressure steam and water systems as well as high pressure air and fluids is required. Work with chemicals is required.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills, read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve complex problems, observe and interpret situations, use math and mathematical reasoning; deal with changing, intensive deadlines, and interact with internal and external clients. Must be able to concentrate while under time constraints.
The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and wet or humid conditions. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles, potential risk of electrical shock and vibration.
At the Power Plant facility and in/out door environment, must be able to work in adverse conditions that may include, but not be limited to the following:
• May be exposed to hazards associated with power and hand tools, dust, fumes, high pressure steam, high temperatures and confined spaces; and may be regularly subject to external environmental conditions such as cold, heat dust, snow or noise and fumes from equipment or chemicals.
• While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to climb stairs, ladders, and work on elevated platforms. Must be able to stand for long periods of time, operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Must be willing to tolerate awkward and stretched positions while stooping, crouching, or kneeling to perform daily duties.
• Must be able to operate hands tools in a safe manner, listed but not limited to, such as shovels, rakes, brooms, air and water hoses, hammers and wrenches, etc.
• Work shift hours, overtime, and irregular hours as needed to support reliable operation of the facility. From time to time the working hours will be determined on short notice based on plant requirements.
• Ability to handle quick changing situations under stress and to work extended hours on short notice if and when required.
• Must be able to lift 45 pounds overhead and 75 pounds from the floor to 36 inches.
• Must be willing to travel to other facilities if needed
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color distinction with vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• Noise levels are moderately loud and may vary in various areas of the plant site.
• Must be able to work around high voltage.
• Must be able to work in Confined Spaces as listed below;
o Boiler drums are 18” x 14”, oval
o Deaerator, Storage Tank and Flash Tank are 16” x 16” round or 16” x 12”, oval
o Furnace and undergrate doors are 24” x 18”, 22” x 18” or 18” x 14”, rectangular
o Economizer bundle 16” x 16”, square
o ID Fan 25” x 25”, square
o FD Fan 20.5” x 20.5”, square
o Precip Hoppers 24” x 24”, square
o Stack 18” x 18”, square
o Bark Hopper accesses 24” x 18”, rectangular
• Must have manual dexterity and ability to manipulate keyboards.
• Must be capable of wearing respirators and working in dusty environments, such as Confined Spaces.
• Operates fuel and/or ash handling equipment which may include wheel loaders, track driven dozers and various machinery in a safe and efficient manner.
• Receives, unloads, mixes, stages, and stacks/stores fuel in a manner consistent with established fuel handling procedures.
• Performs preventative maintenance and minor repairs on mobile/fuel train equipment routinely and thoroughly.
• Maintains accurate operational logs on mobile equipment, as required.
• Maintains a clean and safe work area; regularly clean, sweep and pick up conveyor spillage; unplugs choke points; reports or resolves any unsafe conditions immediately.
• Cleans mobile and fuel yard equipment as required.
• Performs inspection and maintenance activities on all equipment in accordance with established schedules or as needed.
• Reclaims fuel as necessary to support overall plant operation.
• Performs scale house functions, including, obtaining and labeling fuel samples, as required.
• Performs other comparable non-operating duties during plant shutdowns.
• Oversee the work of other crafts on assigned shift as necessary.
• Respond to alarms in a timely manner; operate firefighting equipment as necessary and within reason.
• Maintain professional competence in the field of power plant operations.
• Maintain a safe work environment though job planning, housekeeping and identification and correction of hazards.
• Adhere to all applicable health & safety, environmental and administrative policies, procedures and regulations.
• Assist in development of Plant Operating Procedures.
• Must follow proper event notification and communication protocols to management.
• Answers the telephone when necessary in a professional manner.
• Attend morning, monthly and quarterly meetings.
• Attend training, implement and pursue personal development goals.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• 12 years formal education (High School Graduate) or equivalent.
• A minimum of 1 year experience in heavy equipment operation and maintenance; preferably with biomass or other solid fuels.
• Ability to productively work independently and as an overall integral team member.
• Must have good communication skills.
• Travel to other plant locations and to corporate may be required.
• Prefer knowledge of equipment isolation and LOTO procedures
• Prefer knowledge of the location, purpose and proper use of the plant safety equipment.
ative of EDF Renewable Energy at these sites, he/she will represent EDF Renewable Energy with the public, city officials, etc.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace
and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply for a position, please submit your CV/Resume along with the position title(s) electronically to EDF Renewable Energy.
Click Here to Apply