The Electrical Engineer, Technical Services, is responsible for understanding the company and customer technical needs; developing, defining and completing short and long term projects in support of Technical Service strategies to achieve company and customer needs.
Reports to: Manager, Technical Services
Division/Department: O&M Support Services / Technical Services
Location: Forest City, Iowa or San Diego, CA
The majority of the time is spent in the office environment on technical projects involving information, communication and documentation, utilizing computers (frequent use of MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Project), telephones, and general office equipment. Up to 33% of the time is spent in the field working with O&M sites, research, project support or attending industry conferences. Percentage of working times is approximate.
• Provide technical leadership in the areas of turbine, collection system, and substation electrical systems, including electrical power, energy conversion systems, communication and controls systems.
• Lead special projects as assigned, including evaluations of new tools, processes, equipment, and control changes.
• Participate in the development, verification, and approval of electrical LOTO procedures specific to each site.
• View site-to-site technical problems as fleet issues; prioritize issues, and present solutions to the management team.
• Travel to other sites for evaluation work and to provide assistance as needed and for periods of time up to three weeks.
• Support, define and implement field plans and objectives for Technical Service repairs, reporting and training.
• Support development of training on electrical components, systems, and controls for RS field personnel.
• Make technical suggestions regarding modifications to documentation, product/process performance and failure analysis.
• Work closely with Project Deployment & Support department and the Training Department to help assure field and technical knowledge is transferred from the support teams to the field through process and procedures.
• Review OEM TIL and turbine manuals, turbine configuration (models as in generation1, 2, etc.).
• Review and summarize new turbine manuals- associated with new contracts.
• Evaluate major component failures, trends.
• Trend faults and failures, and suggest solutions.
• Trending of electrical component condition, and develop repair and replacement strategies.
• Control and manage turbine issues list (GE, Repower).
• Assist in evaluation of added value items that RS could provide and market to customers.
• Research and development of new tools, equipment, and processes as well as root cause investigations.
• All other job-related duties as assigned.
• Education required: Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering or similar technical field.
• Three years experience in wind or related technical field required.
• Technical field experience required.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication, and analytical skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively across all operational levels of the organization as well as with suppliers and customers, exercising appropriate tact and diplomacy to accomplish objectives.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment with shifting priorities and multiple deadlines.
• Ability to work independently.
• Fluent in electrical technical documentation, including schematics, one-lines, and drawings.
• Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel, database, Outlook, SAP, OSI PI and various statistical analysis tools.
• Able to provide proof of a current driver’s license and clean driving record, in order to operate company vehicles both on site as well as on public roads and highways.
• Must be willing and able to travel throughout North America, or internationally as required or directed.
• Continued education as required to fulfill required duties.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace
and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply for a position, please submit your CV/Resume along with the position title(s) electronically to EDF Renewable Energy.
Click Here to Apply