The Database Architect will to develop SQL server database back-ends for our in-house database applications. The applications primarily support the energy assessment practice of our core business of renewable energy development. This position will interact with internal customers and stakeholders to ensure project success while ensuring on time and on budget delivery. The developer should be comfortable with project management as well as designing, creating, and deploying the data architecture to deliver beautiful and functional applications. The database architect will help define how the data will be stored, consumed, integrated and managed by different applications
The database architect will develop a detailed knowledge of the underlying data and data products and become the subject matter expert on content, current and potential future uses of data, and the quality and interrelationship between core elements of the data repository and data products. This role will consult with information technology, analysts, and other members of the software development team to implement scripts, programs, data management and storage, software components and analyses that will support product quality and an in depth understanding of potential uses of the data.
Reports to: Director, GIS Program
Division/Department: Resource Assessment Group
Location: San Diego, CA
Normal office environment. Spends approximately 10% of time away from the office. Travel includes but is not limited to visits to other EDF-RE locations, meetings with EDF-RE customers, organizational partners and clients, and others related to/interested in the renewable energy business.
• Design, develop, implement and maintain sql databases.
• Create/maintains the data architecture to increase the robustness, performance, and scalability of systems.
• Manage current and future needs in data design and content.
• Analyze current state and conceive desired future state and projects needed to close the gap between current state and future goals.
• Responsible for the development of logical data models and physical data management and storage design of the databases, warehouse and ODS and semantic data layer(s) needed to support business requirements and enable integration of enterprise data and applications.
• Mentor team members on database architecture.
• Define and manage the data structures required to support the enterprise through the OLTP and BI programs.
• Support multiple projects in building new data sets and data structures as required, and for managing the distribution, replication and archiving of data throughout the platform.
• Resolves semantic discrepancies in data definitions that arise among multiple sources and projects.
• Gain consensus among users on common business data definitions.
• Establish and enforce technical standards for deliverables of projects.
• Estimate system capacity to meet near- and long-term hardware requirements.
• Capable of building systems optimized for both storage and data serving.
• Design the automated and robust data flow processes.
• Maintain accurate data architecture documentation and data models.
• Tracks progress and communicates effectively with key stakeholders to ensure successful completion of the project within time, cost, and quality.
• Design and development of application critical features and components
• Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and designers to create beautiful, functional apps.
• Identify and select the right tools and frameworks for the job
• Collaborate across the organization to align platform capabilities with the technical vision and product and business needs
• Design and develop applications using core product APIs and server-client architectures to meet specific customer requirements.
• Work closely with project managers, team members and other stakeholders to analyze problems, define requirements, and develop solutions. Directly interfacing with internal customers to provide guidance and analytical insight.
• Deliver solutions using the basic tenants of agile software development, rapid prototyping, and iterative release.
• Strong interest in Renewable Energy and the environment
• Minimum of 5 years experience developing applications for a variety of purposes and technologies.
• Familiarity with creating and integrating to RESTful API platforms including but not limited to Laravel.
• Broad knowledge of Enterprise Data Architect principles and design patterns.
• Able to facilitate discussions between small groups of technical leaders, recognize issues of conflict and inconsistency between data requirements, and pursue a resolution of these issues
• Ability to work co-operatively as part of a team, as well as independently under own initiative
• Effective communications skills that enable successful advocacy and alignment with a long term vision
• Excellent skills in Microsoft SQL Server databases, SQL and procedural SQL languages, associated stored procedures and scripting methodologies.
• Good knowledge of web architectural patterns
• Understanding and experience with Object Oriented analysis and design practices (Object modeling, use cases, activity diagrams, and UML).
• Experience with IT security concepts such as SSL/TLS, tokens, and PKI
• The candidate should be self-starter, motivated, able to manage multiple priorities and tasks in a dynamic environment with a good understanding of software development standards and best practices.
• Basic fluency in French or Spanish a plus.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply for a position, please submit your CV/Resume along with the position title(s) electronically to EDF Renewable Energy.
Click Here to Apply